Originally produced by Renita Ramroop
On September 19, 1950 the school opened as the northern branch of Naparima Girls, at the Archibald Institute with 49 students, Ms Grace Beattie as Principal & Mrs. Undine Giuseppi first as Senior Mistress and later as Vice Principal.
In 1951 it moved to Dr Forrester's house on Austin Street. On May 14, 1953 Lady Rance formally opened the new building on Evans Street, Curepe. When Miss Beattie left, Miss Constance Wagar was appointed acting Principal and later Miss Phoebe Lahouri in 1956.
In 1960 a new Auditorium was built and dedicated by Rev. C. Kitney. An organ was also bought for the school in honour of Marion Wagar, recently deceased sister of Dr. Wagar.
In 1961 Dr. Wagar bade farewell and Anna Mahase was appointed Acting Principal. She was inaugurated as Principal in 1962. In 1963 history was made when Prime Minister Dr. Eric Williams delivered the feature address at the graduation ceremony. Diana Giuseppi was valedictorian. Pearl Mohammed joined the staff.
Want learn more? View the photo and video slideshows at left & below.
Video slideshows of each era of SAGHS' history:
Celebrating 150 Years of the Presbyterian Church in Trinidad & Tobago
Wagar, Beattie, Giuseppi, Lahouri and Mahase... Who are the women behind our house names?
School Hymn & Song
CLICK EACH TO VIEW